Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Who's Your Daddy?


The other day at Dekalb Medical our wonderful nurse, Eartha, came in and gave us lots of little tidbits of information, one tidbit of which was our son's blood type. This of, course was very interesting to me...until they told us he was type O positive. My wife is O positive, so to the uninformed, that might seem OK. But knowing that my blood type is AB, all of my students should know that it would be impossible for this to happen. I raised the question with the nurse that they might need to check the reading again, but she did not seem very receptive to the idea. At this point there were two thoughts.....1- Either my son or I have been ID'd with the wrong blood type, or 2- this little guy was not my child. Given that #2 didn't seem very likely....impossible would be a better description.....I set out to determine whether I had been misinformed or if my son's test was incorrect. Since the folks at DMC did not seem interested in running the test again, I ordered one for myself that I would run at home at a later time. Who knew that we would need to know his blood type again so quickly? On Monday at the Dr's office, they asked his blood type, and we responded that we were told O pos...but didn't believe that to be the case. They asked why, I explained, and once again....they shrugged it off. Later at Eggleston they asked his blood type again...and once again we told the story. Dr. Ngyuen kind of giggled and said she'd look into it. A few hours later when we were getting some updates on things, she mentioned that he was actually A positive....not O as we were originally told. WHEW!!!! The doctor asked how I knew what was going on, so I explained. We all kind of giggled together and I made a big deal about it by calling Erin's dad to confirm that I was actually the father....and we laughed some more. Once again, thank the Lord the little guy didn't need any blood at DMC...as they might have given the wrong type. At least they would have given him type O...which we all know is (students in unison, please) THE UNIVERSAL DONOR. He would have lived.....but it would have been the wrong type. Kinda scary.

1 comment:

TMB said...

adam...i am so thankful you are a biology person and knew something was up with the blood type. we are praying for you all...please let me know what i can do! i know this isn't what you expected, but i will rest assured in knowing that this is all part of our Heavenly Father's perfect plan for AJ!!! love you guys...
xoxo